Skip to content ↓

Striving for





Can you meet the needs of my child?

The academy supports students with a variety of physical, sensory, learning, emotional and mental health needs,  We would need to liaise with your son/daughter's school and yourselves to find out their needs to consider whether we can meet their needs.

I want my child to see the EP/SI team.  Can you make a referral?

Referrals will be made by the Academy where concerns meet the threshold for the referral and where:

  • The individual student has not responded to strategies put into place by the school.
  • Further specialist advice is sought.
  • Where progress shows a widening ga between students and peers with progress below that expected given starting points.

My child is receiving a high number of sanctions and another professional has said they need an EHCP.  Can this be put in place?

An application for an EHCP will normally be the last step taken when:

  • A significant number of interventions and support have already been put into place, over a sustained period of time.
  • The Academy and parents/carers feel that without additional funding provided by the Local Authority, the student is at a significant disadvantage to their peers as support needed cannot be otherwise provided.
  • The student needs to access special school provision or equivalent.

Where a student is identified as having SEN, the Academy will take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective special equational provision in place.  These first steps are necessary before the above requirements can be met.

This SEN support should take the form of a four-part cycle through which earlier decisions and actions are revisited, refined and revised with a growing understanding of the student's needs and what of what supports the student in making good progress and securing good outcomes.  This is known as the graduated approach.

We would issue a Grid for Learning so teachers know how to meet need and enroll the students on appropriate interventions as part of this process.

What should I do if I think my child has a special educational need or disability?  Who do I contact?

Please contact or ring and ask for them to contact you.

Can students with a special educational need engage in extra-curricular clubs and activities with those in the academy who do not have a special educational need?

Yes. The academy provides a range of extra-curricular clubs and activities open to all students, regardless of SEND.

Students are encouraged to take part in school events